Radio History of Norman Davis
David Kaye
2005-08-09 10:20:52 UTC
This is a guy who seemed to be everywhere in radio, from rock to
freeform to pop standards to big bands.

What's amazing about this site is that it has a history of audio over
his entire career from a 1953 audition tape (not bad and sounding older
than his years) to 1997. Hear Norman as an upbeat rock jock; hear
Norman as a hipper-than-thou KSAN DJ. It's all here.

www.radiothrills.com/

Sheesh, just when I think I'm through with playing old airchecks I find
more and more...
Midge
2005-08-09 20:53:11 UTC
Norman Davis is a treasure! I grew up in the Bay Area and remember him
fondly. My computer wouldn't play many of the clips, unfortunately.
Maybe it's because I use a Mac?

Thanks for posting the link, David.

Midge
David Kaye
2005-08-09 21:01:17 UTC
Post by Midge
My computer wouldn't play many of the clips, unfortunately.
Maybe it's because I use a Mac?
I'm not saying anything. Let's have the Mac experts reply. The clips
are in a RealAudio format -- they play fine in Windows.
John Higdon
2005-08-09 22:22:52 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Post by Midge
My computer wouldn't play many of the clips, unfortunately.
Maybe it's because I use a Mac?
I'm not saying anything. Let's have the Mac experts reply. The clips
are in a RealAudio format -- they play fine in Windows.
I have no problem with Real Audio files. You DO have to have the
RealAudio player regardless of the platform.

I would imagine that a Windows box WITH RealAudio Player installed might
work better on such files than a Macintosh without the player.

My suggestion: install the RealAudio Player on the Mac.
--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid | SF: +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 | Sana Zay, CA |
David Kaye
2005-08-10 08:46:01 UTC
Post by John Higdon
I have no problem with Real Audio files. You DO have to have the
RealAudio player regardless of the platform.
Actually no. I dislike the Real player myself (for one thing it wants
to keep reporting the music I'm playing back to the mothership). I use
Media Player Classic, which is freeware released under the GNU license
(and no adware attached, either). It plays Real files just fine.
John Higdon
2005-08-10 15:26:48 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Post by John Higdon
I have no problem with Real Audio files. You DO have to have the
RealAudio player regardless of the platform.
Actually no. I dislike the Real player myself (for one thing it wants
to keep reporting the music I'm playing back to the mothership). I use
Media Player Classic, which is freeware released under the GNU license
(and no adware attached, either). It plays Real files just fine.
Oh. OK. I don't deal with RealAudio in any way, so I was unaware of
alternatives.

By the way, KGO should be streaming in OptiCodec soon if not today. It
sounds magnificent.
--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid | SF: +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 | Sana Zay, CA |
Midge
2005-08-10 05:11:50 UTC
Thanks for the tip, John. I checked the software installed on my
computer and I have the RealOne player instead of Real Audio.
John Higdon
2005-08-10 15:27:39 UTC
Post by Midge
Thanks for the tip, John. I checked the software installed on my
computer and I have the RealOne player instead of Real Audio.
That's actually the one you want. Make sure it is the latest version.
--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid | SF: +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 | Sana Zay, CA |
Midge
2005-08-10 19:28:56 UTC
Good advice. I have now downloaded the latest updates. A KYA clip
window that wouldn't play before (Bobby Mitchell #1) was open on my
desktop. As soon as I started to download, the clip began to play. So,
along with the early 60's song hits, I got to hear a commercial for San
Pablo Furniture --"Three rooms for only $199!" -- and a news report
saying that the Golden Gate Bridge District was considering lowering
the toll to 15 cents.

Unfortunately, other KYA clips still won't play. Hmmm. Next I will
consult with my Machead friend at work. These airchecks are so good, I
want to hear them all!

Midge
David Kaye
2005-08-10 20:03:17 UTC
Torman
2005-08-10 02:00:04 UTC
When I was a young teenager I'd listen to "Lucky Logan" on KYA. I even won
12 records on his show one night. Followed his career to KSAN. A couple of
years ago I stumbled upon his internet broadcast and web site. I dropped
him an email recounting my listening to him years later. I got a very
gracious reply from him. I was working in Portland at the time and we
reminisced about his years there as well. He's a true gentleman... Here's
a link to a KSAN site that gives an update and what former staffers
(including Davis) are doing. There's also a link to Norman's internet
broadcast.

http://www.jive95.com/whos_where.htm